Monday, August 23, 2010

Need advice about the peace corp please help?

Have any of you ever joined the peace corp? what was your experience like? I just graduated college with a teaching degree and want to go. Are the any suggestions as to where I should go? Any kind of help would be great!!Need advice about the peace corp please help?
I was a PCV 1971-1972. My daughter is one today.





I worked harder and learned more about myself and the world than at any other time in my life. It was the best experience of my life, all told.





In talking with other returned PCVs, the people who have the best experiences get specific assignments (as opposed to ';community development';) and go to countries with reasonably honest governments. If you get stuck in West Africa working for a government whose main purpose is to pile money into the President-for-Life's Swiss bank account, you are probably going to have a bad experience.





The official web site is graphics-heavy but comprehensive:


http://www.peacecorps.gov





This one is great; ';So you want to join the Peace Corps?';


http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/peac鈥?/a>





If you are interested, you can read about my time as a PCV in Sarawak, on the island of Borneo, 1971 - 1972:


http://www.tedpack.org/pchead.html


There is much more there than I can paste here. It isn't all about my experiences. I search Y!A for the phrase ';Peace Corps'; every week. I have a page devoted to the questions that come up the most frequently. At the bottom of the ';pchead'; page is a link to the Returned PCV web ring, which has 40+ other RPCV sites.





You can Google ';Peace Corps Volunteer Blog'; to find sites about more current experiences.





It's Peace Corps, with a silent ';s'; on the end, just like the Marine Corps, the Civilian Conservation Corps, or A. P. Hill's 3rd Corps at Gettysburg.





You didn't do as bad as a lady I went to high school with who wrote to me as ';Ted Pack, Piece Core Volunteer'; while I was in Sarawak.Need advice about the peace corp please help?
I know for a fact that teachers are needed in China right now to teach english, if thats something you would be interested in.





http://www.oxfordseminars.com/Tesol/Page鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment