Thursday, August 19, 2010

Advice about double yellowheaded amazons please?

This is my first DYH. I admit I did the terrible thing of buying him on a whim but he is an awesome guy and I just couldn't resist.





I already have a Senegal parrot and a timneh grey so I am experienced with parrots, but am looking for that special info you've got on DYHs. I plan on segregating him from my other birds for at least a month and getting everyone vet checked within the next 60 days (my other birds are due too). He is 16 years old and in great feather, bright eyes, normal droppings. He is supposed to have a great personality (he did with me), is used to other birds and dogs (not sure about cats but my cats are very aware that they cannot go near the birds). I swear I don't normally do this--I have not bought a bird in 10 years, but I just couldn't stay away from him!





Give me your best advice about DYHs and bringing a new one into my home! Thanks!Advice about double yellowheaded amazons please?
Around other birds, I’d be careful with an Amazon of any type. I know that Amazons and Greys *generally* have the same body language. So the acts of one can be understood by the other. I’ve seen, witnessed, experienced and heard about many Greys who have lived happily of a variety of different types of Amazons. Senegals may be a different story.





I have known many aggressive Amazons and overall, I’d say they have the highest aggression rating I’ve seen in many birds. Males tend to be a bit more aggressive than the females, but there are always exceptions. Your Senegal would be my biggest concern. I’ve received enough bites from Amazons to know that a smaller bird wouldn’t win a stand-off with one. Either keep that one with you or keep him/her separate in a cage.





I’d keep them separated and then be sure the Amazon stays in the cage while you let the others out. After some time, I’d introduce them on neutral grounds – a room that no one has “claimed”. See if any of them are defensive or become aggressive towards the others. If they are, separate the aggressor while keeping the others out. Amazons will usually bow their heads and fan their tails when they’re in attack mode or get excited.





If one bird is more attached to you than the others, I’d keep that bird with you while the others are out. Holding a strange bird while letting a bird that’s bonded with you out can create some ill-will amongst them and towards you. I have a Grey bonded with me that will nip at my ear if another bird shows affection towards me in her presence. I’m hers and there’s no way she’ll let me forget that!





They like constant socialization and vocalization. Compared to a Grey and a Senegal, Amazons tend to be much louder. You’re going to be in for a “good morning” serenade and a “good night” serenade fairly often, so be prepared! Singing is especially enjoyable for these guys. If you aren’t going to be around often, I’d consider investing in a small radio that you can turn on for some entertainment.





Considering the vocabulary of both birds, I’m sure your Grey and Amazon will start chattering back and forth with each other over time.





As for their biting… I’m either extremely unfortunate or it’s a technique they have. Any time any type of Amazon has bitten me, they either grab a small piece of flesh like the edge of a finger or arm and pull, or they bite and then twist slightly. Either way, their bites are bloodier than any Grey I’ve been bitten by and even some Macaws.





The average lifespan I’ve heard people mention for them is in the mid 50’s. If yours is still a teenager, you’re looking at a life-long commitment.





A couple more things to add....





Amazons, more so than most other birds, are susceptible to obesity and all the problems that come from that, such as blood clots. Try to avoid high fat diets that include sunflower seeds, peanuts, etc.





Their obesity isn’t helped by the fact that they tend to be remarkably lazy birds as well. If they don’t have to fly, they won’t. Flying, for birds, is equivalent to running in people. Even a healthy wing-flapping can do wonders. It works the muscles, gets the circulation going and so on, the same as jogging does for a jogger.





You may want to make a stand that requires a lot of physical activity; lots of perches, toys, etc. In one case I know of a person who invested in a ceiling fan, turned it upside down, replaced the blades with perches, mounted it on a base and turned it on low in order to get his birds to exercise a bit.Advice about double yellowheaded amazons please?
I haven't owned a DYH before but I have been around them a bit. The breeder I get my roudybush from has a BHA. Hers loves tummy tickles and attention. I've seen them on youtube on atoms and swings alot and it looks like the kind of toy they would LOVE! So maybe that is the kinds of toys you might look into getting for them (if you haven't got one already!!). I'm saving to get a medium size atom for my pionus when I have the money. I'm broke right now due to vet bills but I'll get there!





I know what you mean when you said you can't resist. I had to administer much self control from passing up some greys and a lovie this year.





Parrots are like potato chips, you can't stop at just one!

No comments:

Post a Comment