Monday, August 23, 2010

Advice about a 4 year old girl?

I just wanted to know what behaviour I should be expecting from a 4 year old. My daughter will not listen to a simple request or order from me, example ';stop running in the house'; without me absolutely yelling at her. My family keeps telling me she'll grow out of it, but it is wearing me down. She just will not listen to me at all. She also does this in public as well, we can't control her, she runs off and will not listen to us, unless we yell and even then it doesn't really change the situation. No, she is not deaf. Any advice appreciated.Advice about a 4 year old girl?
You shouldn't yell, you should discipline her. Next time she acts up put her in her room. Lock her in there if you have to. Wait until she stops crying and talk to her about why she should listen to you. Ask her to tell you she's sorry. You shouldn't yell at your daughter, but you should be stern. Try to stay calm, it's better for the both of you.Advice about a 4 year old girl?
Start taking things away. Use the naughty chair too for 4 min. Do it. She is getting attention this way and thinks it is funny.
My daughter is this way too...also 4 yrs old....at least in public paces we have set punishments for every time she doesnt listen...such as a time out when we get home, leaveing where we are and haveing to sit in the car while the other parent finishes shopping, or offer a reward for when we go home ifshe behaves well when out and about....it has helped some, but people telling me she will grow out of it too...maybe it is age as well.... good luck! ;)
I have 3 little girls...they never listen the first time. It's only when I start counting to 3. lol


But, as mentioned by another reader, I think that bending down to her and speaking to her in her face works the best. Of course give her a reason and a warning (you WILL go in time out for example) %26amp; if she disobeys she needs to be punished in whichever way you see fit (time out, take a toy away, etc.)


She probably won't grow out of that too much though so, don't hold your breath.
we are having the same exact problem right now with my boyfriends daughter, she will be 4 in august. i am getting ready to start some kind of point system with her. im gonna get a little chart of some kind and stickers. When she behaves and does what she is asked she will get a sticker to put on her chart and if she misbehaves or doesnt listen then she will have to take one off. But im gonna tell her if she gets so many stickers by the end of the day she will get a treat of some kind. She really enjoys laying in our bed at night to watch a movie before she goes to sleep, and i think im gonna use that as the bargain or im gonna get some lollipops or something and use them. Its all based on positive reinforcement, giving them something for doing good, and negative punishment, taking something away for bad behavior. We have been through timeout, the corner, pops on the butt, taking things away, and keep in mind she does get praised all the time for doing good things. She gets warnings, and i do get down to her level and i give her the consequence so she knows if she keeps it up what will happen. If that doesnt work im gonna start taking toys away when she wont listen
4 sharp swats with your hand or a paddle on her Underpants will do quite nicely.
do a timeout place..





if she's not listening put in the timeout chair. You need to teach her that you are in control... not her..
Some good answers here. What I'd like to add is that one of the best things you can teach your daughter is to respect you and to listen to you. I say that because if she has a hard time listening to you at home, she'll have a tougher time listening to her teachers at school. Behavior problems hinder learning.
It frustrates me when people say ';she'll grow out of it'; or ';she's just that way.';





Sorry, but I just don't buy that unless there are emotional/developmental problems involved. As everyone else said, it's all about discipline, which is a time-out and then an explanation of _why_ she was put in time out. Always make sure she knows why she's in time-out, otherwise she won't learn or will misinterpret. I always ask my daughter if she knows why I put her in time out, and if not, I calmly explain.





When I hear someone say that time-outs don't work, I always wonder how they do it. Be firm...time-out means time-out, and not being able to see the TV while in time out, or playing with a toy, or talking to mom or dad.





Good luck!
My daughter is 9 and she still has not outgrown anything. I am constanly yelling at her and my 6 year old son.
Start threatening discipline, and FOLLOW THROUGH with the threat. Time outs in the corner or something of the like. She doesn't take you seriously for some reason so you need to show her that you are deadly serious. She'll learn to respect you when you stand your ground too. My uncle swears by counting to 3, and I must say it works well on my cousins because they know there's a punishment waiting if he gets to 3. Kids will try to test every boundary though. My cousins started waiting on purpose til he got to 3, til he didn't wait one day. They said ';But you didn't get to 3'; He said ';Maybe I'll wait til 3, maybe I won't.'; Nowadays all you have to do is say One! and they do what they are told.
Instead of telling her all the time what NOT to do, trying tell her what to do! If she is running, ask her if she can march like a soldier. If she is screaming, ask her to sing pretty. The whole point is to distract. Make sure the consequences given are followed through. If you tell her she will leave the store if she doesn't walk with you, then you LEAVE THE STORE. You leave your cart and walk out. Walk her to the car and LEAVE. you need to be consistent. If she is screaming and you tell her that she will get a time out, tell her one more warning and then GIVE HER THE TIME OUT. Set a timer. If she gets up before the timer goes off, she will start over. It will take A LOT of work on your part, but if you follow through it will work. Ask yourself ';Who's the parent and who is the child?';
I also have a 4 year old little girl. Every now and again we have little problems with listening, but for the most part she is great. If she has a problem listening I say ';GO TO YOUR ROOM TELL I SAY YOU CAN COME OUT'; I don't yell at her just say it with a strong voice. I give her about 4 min to think about what she did and Then I go and sit down and ask if she knows why she is in there. (She always knows why shes there, and if she dosent I let her sit and think about it longer). As far as the store and her running off, put her in the big part of the cart, not the baby seat just the big part. She will eventually hate sitting there while you are shopping and ask to get down. Explain she needs to be on her best behavior and listen well. (then let her get down) Give her NO warnings after that, if she dosen't listen put her back in the cart. If she screams and make a sceen then leave you cart and all the things you were shopping for and bring her home. The next time you go shopping tell her she needs to stay home today with a sitter -with her dad because last time she didnt listen. She will want to go and will not do this anymore. Problem solved. :)
Don't yell, say it very quietly in her ear. Always discipline if she does not obey and you know she can hear you. Do you try to discipline her? All kids will test you, but if she is doing this every time you take her anywhere... she needs some rules and some consequences for breaking the rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment