Saturday, August 21, 2010

I need some gardening advice. I was wondering about some natural solutions for keeping rabbits away.?

I planted some tomatoes and peppers in my backyard and we have alot of rabbits and other small animals around. I am looking for ideas for keeping them from eating my plants. Is there anything I can plant to keep them away?I need some gardening advice. I was wondering about some natural solutions for keeping rabbits away.?
Ok... this may sound funny but it does work. You can spread human hair around the perimeter of your garden. Go to a barber shop or hair dressers and ask for a bag of hair that they sweep up off the floor. Another one is to put human urine around the perimeter. (Easier to do if you are a guy). These both work for keeping away a large number of garden thieves (rabbits, deer, etc) as the constant scent of a human is a deterrent to them.I need some gardening advice. I was wondering about some natural solutions for keeping rabbits away.?
Scatter blood meal around your plants. Rabbits hate the smell of death. You have to put more down though after a rainstorm.
i know it sounds crazy but put chili pepper on your plants
CAT
my husband made wire circular cages to keep out the bunnies, deer and other critters. You can buy the wire in straight pieces and then form it in a circle and attach it together with the cut edges of the wire. he did it for my climbing plant out by the mailbox too. It has always worked in the past. we do peppers and tomatoes too. The cages are about 4 feet high and about 3 or 4 feet across.
12 GAUGE SHOTGUN
I had this problem a few years back. I am happy to say I found a perfect solution that really works! Plant marigolds all around the perimeter of your garden. Then about 10-15 feet away plant parsley or another common and cheap aromatic herb. The rabbits hate the marigolds and will go straight for the herb thus leaving your precious veggies alone!
lead poisoning works well if projected from my shotgun.
The best all natural concoctions I have found come from Jerry Baker. He is america's master gardener and the following recipe is from him and works like a charm.





3 cloves of garlic


4 hot red peppers (you can subst. hot sauce)


2 tbsp. liquid dish soap


Liquify in a blender, strain out any clumps, pour into a 20 gallon hose-end sprayer jar filling the balance with ammonia.





I keep some aside for a handheld sprayer for plants close to the house.





Good luck. ; )
If you have a cat of dog, simply brush them and put the fur in the garden. This will also keep deer away. Human hair is supposed to work well too. Take a trip to the barber and ask for some.


A friend of mine gave me this recipe...


Homemade Animal Repellent - 2 raw eggs,1 qt water, 1 tsp cayenne pepper or Tabasco sauce, squirt in dish soap, Mix in spray bottle.


or...last but not least, try planting a double row of onions around your garden next year. Rabbits apparently hate the smell of onions and won't cross the rows.





Perhaps the old farmer鈥檚 adage remains true: you plant 1/3 of the crop for disease, 1/3 for the critters, and 1/3 for your family. Good luck!
Try rabbit stew.
Hot pepper wax , sprayed on the plants . There are 2 formulations, one for insects, one for 4-legged critters. If you can't get the latter, the insect version will work . Rabbits probably won't eat peppers %26amp; tomatos. Deer %26amp; woodchucks - yes.
i was at the zoo recently and honest to goodness they said to use tiger urine. i asked where to buy it and they said don't worry about it and gave me about a quart. it should last more than a year. try it!!!





if that is too exotic call the zoo and ask if dog or cat urine works. before the tiger juice i used to use pepper and hot chili peppers...it works for a short time but you have to use alot and have to use more every time you water or it rains or is really really windy. i have found nothing else to use or plant near my veggies that works. i did put up a fence but that was easily overcome until i used the tiger juice.
Buy predator urine from the internet or at a nursery. It cured my family's deer problem. You don't need exotic tiger pee, just coyote, fox, or mountain lion pee.
I remember using cayenne pepper to prevent the deer from eating our garden. Maybe you could try that.

No comments:

Post a Comment