Saturday, August 21, 2010

I need some advice about tankmates?

Hello,


I have a 40 gallon tank. I have 2 dragon fish (violet goby and another type of dragon), 1 african dwarf frog, 3 snails, a pleco, some ghost shrimp, and a small angel fish. I'm going to take the angel fish out once it gets bigger and put it in it's own tank. I don't want it eating my other fish! I was wondering, what freshwater tankmates can I put in my tank? I'd like some more bottom dwellers as well as a ';main fish'; Such as an angel fish but smaller, something interesting to look at. I'd also like to add an eel. Any other suggestions?


Also, do you know any other types of dragonfish? This other one I have likes to swim on the top rather than the bottom like the dragon goby. It has two little, short, tube-like things on its nose.





Sorry so long. Hope you can help!!! Thanks!I need some advice about tankmates?
You'll eventually need another tank for your ';other'; dragonfish as well. It sounds like what you have is an arowana, and these will become larger and more aggressive than the angels.





If you like bottom fish, look into some of the species of corydoras (should be kept in groups), some of the smaller plecos like the rubberlip or bristlenose, or a farowella catfish if you like something with a more unusual shape. If you want something more eel-like, look at some of the loaches or botia (these should also be kept in groups of three or more, be careful to match the temperatures with what you keep your tank). Here's a listing of various bottom fish and catfish - you can find out more about each by clicking on its photo: http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profil鈥?/a>





For a ';main'; fish, you could look at one of the dwarf gouramis - they're colorful and more peaceful than the standard gouramis. You could also keep a single male betta (preferably not with the gourami) or a group of rainbowfish - keep 2 males for every female to bring out the best color.





ADDITION: If your other dragon is a Polypterus, these can eat small fish, and may eat the ghost shrimp.I need some advice about tankmates?
sounds like your tank is a bit overstocked.


i would recommend that you do not get any more fish, but invest in a few larger tanks. these fish cannot be kept together, as im sure you know.


the pleco will need at LEAST a 75, if not more.


angels can get to 10 inches, so i hope your prepared, they also like to be kpet with other angels.


the 2 dragon fish are not the most peaceful fish out there either!





its really important to research fish and their needs BEFORE buying them. you should have their tank setup and cycled before. and not just a grow out tank, but their permanent tank

No comments:

Post a Comment