Saturday, July 31, 2010

What advice can you give a 1st time mom about a newborn baby?

I'm being induced on monday. i know most things come natural, but what advice can you give a 1st time mom about a newborn baby? I have helped in taking care of my brothers when they were babies, but never as newborns. What advice can you give a 1st time mom about a newborn baby?
it will get the hang of it in no time. just take time out for you and the little one so you can both get to know each other, this is important. also make sure when the babies sleeping, that you relax. some people make the mistake and try to do chores while its sleeping then your exhausted. this will be wonderful time. good luck monday!!What advice can you give a 1st time mom about a newborn baby?
My best advice is to relax. Babies are little and helpless, but they are not made of glass. You will make mistakes, but at least they won't remember it!! And the first 3 months are the hardest, they don't sleep, eat all the time, and do basically nothing but cry/poop/and sleep. But once you think you can't handle anymore and are exhausted beyond repair, those 3 months will be over and your baby will start sleeping longer, eating more at a time, and will start giggling and smiling and it will seem like you have a brand new baby! Congrats and good luck.



dont expect to feel like yourself again in a week. It will take time to heal and then also to get the hang of things with baby. I'm 15 wks post and my baby and I are still finding our groove. he's a very needy baby so be prepared for that too. At first it was so easy. He slept most of the time and I had time to do other stuff. But things change quicly with a baby and he soon developed feeding and sleeping problems. so be prepared for things to change too. if they don't and you have a very easy baby count yourself lucky. What you get in the first few wks isn't necessarily what your baby will be like though. Everything is a stage with babies and it changes so quickly.
Great advice by Dawn!


Basically, you can not love your baby too much, or respond too soon, or hold your baby too much. Your baby cannot manipulate you or be spoiled or anything like that.


I have let my baby be his own person. I try to follow his lead and his cues while still keeping him safe and listening to my own needs (sleep when your babe does!!!)...


He is a beautiful bright boy who rarely cries, who is signing anf communicating so much at 11 months of age, who we can take everywhere and who is unafraid and delighted by the world.


I recommend breastfeeding your babe, having them sleep with you or next to your bed, and a great quality sling to keep them close so you can get a few things done and still comfort them.


Oh! And why are you being induced! Can you let your baby choose its own birthday?





Blessings
My first advice would be not to be induced. Is it medically necessary. IMO, you'll end up having a c section if your being induced more than a week before your due date (I can say it b/c it happened to me. I was induced and I was a late and still had to have a c section). I know your excited about the baby coming, but another week or two is not that long to wait. My second piece of advice is keep the baby swaddled. Even if they fight it, it really helps them feel secure. Ask one of the nurses to show you how. My third piece of advice is nap when baby naps even though your hormones will have you feel like supermom. You will eventually crash.
My advice is, don't ask for so much advice. Seriously. I asked for advice from my mum, my mum in law, the health visitor, 3 different midwives and the internet. I felt myself torn into pieces because i tried to follow everyones advice and it's just not possible. My advice is go with what feels natural. Trust me, it's better for you and your baby.
Everyone from your mum and mother in law to the old lady in the supermarket and your postman will have some sort of advice for you when you have your baby! Listen to everyone and take it all in, but when the time comes, do what you think is right for you and your bub.


Its true that you will find your maternal instinct!!! Always relax, and be patient. When it all gets too much, put baby somewhere safe, go outside and get some fresh air for 5 min, then start again.



no doubt about it newborns are scary fragile looking creatures... it took me til day 2 or 3 before i would pick up or put down my son... sure i'd hold him but only after he was handed to me :)





i think the biggest thing to remember is that though they look soooo fragile they really aren't... now don't start bouncing him like a basketball of course but if his head falls back a little don't stress about it, if you bump his arm walking through a doorway he'll be fine. just pick him up when he cries, check diaper, try to feed or just cuddle. in time you will learn your baby and he will learn about you :)





oh and try to nap when he does :)





EDIT: and definietly get a experienced mom/dad to give first bath, i know i did... plus it will leave you free to take pictures, added bonus! :)
First of all: Ask for help from people around you.





Second, make sure you schedule a meeting with a lactation consultant so that nursing goes well. Those first hours and days are important for latching on.





Third: RELAX. If you feed, cloth, and love your child, that is all you really need. Don't be afraid to call the pediatrician, even at 4am. But be ready to hear ';Calm down.'; And ALWAYS go with your instincts. If you think something is wrong, then take a breath, relax, and insist on the best care for your children.






Kiss up to your mother or mil or yor aunt, whomever is closest and they will help you. I remember the first time my first born pooped, I looked in helpless horror at the dirty diaper and my aunty just breezed in, swabbed his little butt and changed him in a jiffy. First lesson learned!
Remember, you are not superwoman and not perfect, sometimes you will get it wrong and thats all part of the learning curve


Just do your best by your baby, and that is usually the right thing x

No comments:

Post a Comment