Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Does anyone have good advice for someone going away to college or about college in general?

I am going away to college soon and was wondering if anyone could tell me what college is like, give me advice even about random non-school things, and just anything about college really.





Please %26amp; Thank-you!Does anyone have good advice for someone going away to college or about college in general?
Well I just finished my first year in college and I would recommend for you to have get a planner/organizer. That is really important for upcoming tests and deadlines. Also, set time each week for each week to study for your classes. For every unit that a class has, you must study 2-3 hours a week. So if you are taking 15 units, set time to study about 20-30 hours a week. Next, talk to an advisor in the department that you are majoring at least once a semester to make sure that you are on track with taking the right classes and finishing your degree on time.





Always take notes and during your ';study time'; you should take a look at these notes to keep what you learned fresh in your mind. If you type faster than you write or have bad hand writing, then you should bring a laptop to help take notes-you will use them a lot and need to refer back alot. Usually professors/instructors will let you take notes on a laptop, but just ask in the beginning of class if it's ok, just in case.





Flash cards will be a very good friend during college for voabulary and for me- art history. What I did was printed the picture of the art piece in front and the details that I needed to know, on the back of a card.





Also, my school offers free tutoring, so don't be afraid to look for these helpful services offered at your school- you can talk to your advisor about that. There are also clubs that you can join that deal specifically with your choice of major. These are helpful in that you can get experience from these clubs and meet with others than have the same dreams as you. You can help each other out studying for classes and stuff. Lastly, partying is a no-no.Does anyone have good advice for someone going away to college or about college in general?
It depends on how far away from home you will be and what kind of school you are going to.





1. Try not to go home a lot during first semester. You need to establish some roots at your new ';home';.


2. Live on campus the first year. I still have friends I met on my dorm floor 15 years ago! They were some of my closest friends throughout school.


3. You should become involved in campus life, through clubs or organizations.


4. Go to parties, have fun, just don't overdo it. You'll know when you are overdoing it when you begin to miss classes.


5. Be open minded. You are going to meet a lot of different people and see some crazy things. Take it all in stride.





College is what you make it. You can either be depressed sitting alone in your dorm room worried about people back home, or out there discovering a new life for yourself. Good luck!
College is fun, and everyone you meet is going to be feeling the exact same way as you. It's simular to high school except that you are independent and on your own, if you live in a dorm then their are staff to ';keep an eye out'; and a lots of colleges sometimes assign ';mentors'; to freshman. Congratulations and have a wonderful time during this very important stage in your life:)
Apply for as many grants and fellowships as you can.


When thesis year comes, do actually what your thesis advisors tell you do to. I almost didn't graduate college because I didn't listen to my advisors on my thesis and I tried to get too ambitious with my thesis project.


With college, you are on your own-you're responsible for what you do on college grounds. You're still a dependent adult Treat college like it's a job and not a pastime.


Take your work as seriously as you can. Enjoy the sites around town. Use the college library as often as yo can. Try to make as many friends and contacts as you can, and budget your time wisely.


Don't be afraid to object to any course that conflicts with your beliefs or makes you uncomfortable. Let an academic advisor know-they'll work with you.


I went to college but I lived at home-I didn't live on campus or in college apartments, so I can't tell you what dorms or like. But make sure you aren't rooming with some maniac.


Look at job postings posted through your school. There might be some jobs you qualify for. Be sure about what you want to major in. Don't wait till the last minute or after the fact you want to switch majors like I did. I went to school for animation but I didn't realize I wanted to go into comics and switch my major illustration/cartooning till after I graduated. Keep in touch with your school's career development center and alumni dept., if they have one, and make sure your payments to the school are on time. Focus on schooling and your work and don't spend too much time partying or socializing. If you have a job make sure it doesn't interfere with your school schedule. Don't be afraid to ask others to help you. Ask an advisor where to get good deals on school materials-they'll help you.





If you need anything else, feel free to e-mail me. :D
College classes are just like school. But the life is so much better. You have more freedoms and you have your own life I can not wait til college I am in eighth grade hope this helps and good luck.
There is nothing much difference b/w schooling college. It's just a situation change. When you get adjusted in your college you perhaps like it more than school.

No comments:

Post a Comment